HOW ZONING WORKSFor general information about Denver’s zoning, it’s available on the internet at “DenverGov.Org”. Zoning requirements for other cities are very similar.
- Click on A-Z Departments and Services
- In A-Z, click on “zoning code” at the bottom of the alphabetical list.
- In the “Community Planning and Development” image that pops up, click on the “zoning” tab.
- In the drop down menu on the zoning tab, click on “Find Your Zoning”. When the image appears, you will see a map which you can enlarge. At the top of the map, there is a not very noticeable bar across the top which says “enter an address or intersection”. Enter your address and your zone and zoning information will pop up. Print this page or write it down.
- Then go back to the drop down menu on the zoning tab, click on “Denver Zoning Code”. When the image opens, you can see the whole code or any one of the articles. For now, click on “General Provisions”. This will give you general information about the idea behind the code, how it’s organized, and so on.
- Building height
- Bulk plane
- Minimum sizes and dimensions for lots in the various zones
- Setbacks from the front, back, and side property lines
- Land coverage
- Accessory dwelling units ( ADU’s)
- Tandem houses